April 21, 2009

White Water Rafting!!!

This picture is a proof that I really did go for rafting.












Day 3 of my trip!!! Today was the day I have been looking forward to for a long time. I have always had a phobia for water. In Key West, Florida I was scared while trying water sports like jet skiing and paragliding. I did enjoy doing those activities but still there was a fear. A fear to enter water. This fear might be there from the fact that I don't know how to swim, even for my life. I have always wanted to overcome this fear and got the perfect opportunity when I went for white water rafting today!!!!
We left for Chaba around 9.00 a.m. We were suppose to start our rafting journey on the Sutlej river from this point. The drive from the hotel was about 2 hrs and 30 mins. I was filled with feelings of anxiety and excitement. The road leading to my destination were not really great which just added to suspense of waiting.
Rajeev was our main instructor with Santosh was playing his assistant. Ganesh was the safety guy and he was gonna be riding ahead of us to make sure that if we fall into water, he will save us. I had one another person has company, Mr. Harrold. Coincidence!!! Coincidence!!! I always believe that the world is small and I was proven right. Of all the places in the world, Mr. Harrold was from New York City. It was great to meet someone from New York City. We were given the safety instructions and we got on board. The adventure started!!!
It was not at all scary. In the first 15 minutes I was decided that I want to come back for white water rafting. Rafting on the still water as well as the rapids had different excitement. On the still water, you require strength and patience to move forward. On the rapids, it is the rush which makes you feel exhilarated. Rus of water from all directions just lifts the mood. The Sutlej river flowing through the mountains a picture perfect and gave happiness to the mind. Being on the raft gave me a different feeling, I was completely at peace. The combination adventure and peace of mind was all that I needed. Half way through our journey, we stopped for lunch at the river bank. The hotel had packed a picnic basket and we had a great picnic. With the food we swallowed some dust also as the winds were really strong. After great food and interesting conversations, we started for the remaining half of the journey. Our journey ended at Tatapani from where we took the drive back to the hotel.
I am trying to put into words the experience I had but it really is not possible. You all have to experience it to know what it really feels. Don't be scared like me, do it!!! Also remember that if you ever land in the water, the experts are there with you to save you.
Tomorrow I will be going for nature trail walk around the hotel!!! this is another new activity for me to try!!! Yipeeee!!!!

In the end I just want to say "YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!"

No comments: