May 31, 2009

Attacks on Indians in Australia

For the past fews days ,there has been an upsurge in the attacks on the Indian students in Australia. Shravan Kumar is still in Coma while Baljinder was stabbed in his stomach. These incidents among others has bought into picture the debate of "are foreign countries racist towards Indians?" I have lived in USA for about 4 years. I lived in around New York City for the whole time I was there. I would like to say I never encountered any racial discrimination acts against me, atleast not which were obvious. People were in general friendly and accomodating. I have heard stories of friends facing discrimination but honestly I haven't experienced it. It might be because I lived in a metropolitian city like New York City and people here are seen more open to other cultures. Residents of cities like New York interact with citizens from all over the world ona daily basis and this might just bring out a positive change in their attitude. I faced discrimination only on British Airways. The attitude and manner of speaking of the air hostess was not friendly towards me while on the other hand she would talk to the white man besides me with all the love she has. That when I have decided never to travel by British Airways. People feel there is a underlying current against Indians because we are seen as taking away their jobs. There are the specific "curry bashing" which is said to take place in Australia. Stories of racial discrimination in UK are known to all. Haven't we heard of stories of Indians in Middle-East do treat us Indians as second class citizens? Just today a friend told me about someone who had garbage thrown on him while walking on the street. These incidents occurs and there is no denying that fact. Indians tend to ignore these incidents, not lodge any complains as they azlso want to create a better life for themselves in those countries and they don't want any problems in this process. But then these people are just rotten apples who are not welcome to change, who see Indians as a danger to them in some way. Maybe it is just their own frustration which they are venting out on our people. I don't know if there is any way to explain these people our side of the story because such people are too blind-sighted by their own faith to accomodate any new ideas. It is upto us to be careful and try and lead a normal life. We are a new country which is not our own country, we have to always remember this. Mahatma Gandhi himself was a target of racial discrimination. We just have to make our voices heard to the authorities and let them know we are not soft. As we live in their country, our security is their responsibility even if we are not the citizens of that country. Lastly, I would say that be it USA, UK, Australia or any other country there would be some things that are good and some things which are bad. We need to always remember why we are there, absorb all the good and discard the bad.

4 comments:

Janaaaa said...

I noticed this when i was in edinburgh. It is the teens who do these activities when they are fully drunk. I will not call it 'racial discrimination'. Coz they abuse everybody. I have seen similar things in our own country too. It is a universal drunkard thing. Only the dosage differs!!!

Pallavi said...

I agree that drunken people mostly create this havoc but there are stories where sane people have also said racist remarks.

Janaaaa said...

Oh... Tough time then...

swapnil said...

sad... whats happening there in Australia but. the same thing happens in our own country 2. Our racism is largely, but not exclusively, based on colour. Caste and ethnicity is the biggest factor in India’s racism. bhaiyas gujjus. ghati chinki... n lots more.. n for more surprise wisest of people do thid things n quite openly...